In Lubenice there are medieval fortress and remnants of the medieval city wall and city gate. Besides the old square there are also many chapels in Lubenice: St Sunday Chapel, the Gothic chapel of St. Anthony the Hermit, the Parish Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary with a bell-tower from the 18th Century and St. Jacob Chapel. Lubenice has an oval shape through which two parallel winding streets run from the north to the south. Streets in Lubenice have no names and house numbers range only from one to forty two. There is a school in Lubenice; however, as no person younger than 65 lives here, there is no need for school.
During the summer the city of Cres traditionally organizes music evenings in Lubenice attended by a huge number of guests. Concerts are staged in St Mary church and in the square in front of the church the opening and closing ceremony of “Lubenice Evenings” are held where numerous world and Croatian authors perform.
Below Lubenice there is St John beach that was ranked fifteenth among the forty most beautiful beaches in the world by the German magazine Bild.
Legend of Origins of Lubenice
Every village as well as Lubenice has a legend of its origins or at least of its name. Once upon a time lived a king who had a daughter in whom a young man from a hill, where Lubenice is located today, fell in love. The young girl loved him back, but the king dissatisfied with her decision expelled her from Osor so that the princess settled with her love on the hill. Her name was Ljubica so that the village was named after her “Ljubenice”. As the Italians, who installed their government on the island in 1918, could not pronounce Ljubenice, the village was renamed into Lubenice. Furthermore, Lubenice is believed to be named after a Latin word “hibernicius” meaning windy, since the wind is quite often in this village.